Why Detox ?
by Holly E. Mullin
"Why do we need to Detox? Aren't our bodies designed to do this process naturally?"
This is probably the question I hear far above and beyond any other. Why detox? When our bodies are designed to rid itself of waste products, what is the purpose of cleansing?
Our bodies were designed many 1000's of years ago. When 'toxins', as we know them today, didn't even exist.
These days our lifestyles are full of chemical additives and preservatives which, in all honesty, our bodies do not recognise and do not know how to process.
There are primarily two different types of toxins: Exogenous Toxins, which come from outside the body and Endogenous Toxins, which are produced inside the body.
The first are refined chemicals which are used, generally, to prolong the shelf-life of many of the products we use today.
The second are by-products from different internal body processes which give off substances such as: yeasts, fungus, bacteria, parasites, lactic acids, uric acids, fermentation and lymph.
The bodies' incredible processes of elimination are indeed designed to rid the host of these "naturally occurring" toxic waste materials.
However, if we look at the list of exogens we ingest on a daily basis, it becomes clear "why we need to detox".
Exogenous Toxins come from a number of different sources:
- Air: pollution
- Water: drink/bathe (tap and bottle: chlorine, heavy metals, leaching plastics etc)
- Food: fast/refined foods, additives/preservatives, herbicides/pesticides, sugar, dairy, meat
- Drink: caffeine, alcohol, soda-pop, high sugar/sugar free drinks
- Toiletries: toothpaste, shampoo, soap, deodorant, cleansers, make-up etc.
- Cleaning Products: washing-up liquid, washing powder, bleach, oven cleaner etc.
- Medication/Drugs: both legal and illegal
- Technology: computers, mobile phones, wireless etc.
- Stress & Tension: Negative emotions/thoughts, bad posture, over thinking, over working etc.
- Poor eating habits: eating on the run, comfort eating, lack of chewing etc.
The list can go on and it's really quite alarming when
we look at it! All of these substances are things in which most of us use on a daily basis. There is no getting away from it; we are full of toxins coming from outside sources, many of which are derived from the same original source: oil.
Parabens and petro-based chemicals come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, names, descriptions and numbers, but the general outcome is the same: cancer. These carcinogens are tricky little beggars. Not always obvious to the naked eye, one really needs to look at all the ingredients on the packaging in order to know exactly what you are putting IN or ON your body or environment. A general rule of thumb should be: if you can't pronounce it, DON'T eat it!
Our bodies are not designed to flush out this level of toxicity. It IS toxic overload. This is why we must come to the aid of our amazing organism and help to allow this natural creature to let go.
All is not lost. There are many, many ways in which we can help our beautiful selves to be radiant again and glow with an iridescent and divine light.
Detoxification is the key and here are a few examples:
- Rest and Recuperate at a Detox Retreat
- Daily Yoga (even 15 mins)
- Daily Meditation (even 5 mins)
- Daily Breathing Exercises
- Holistic Spa Treatments
- Go Organic!
- Use Eco-friendly products
- Drink purified water
- Weightloss spa retreat
- Etc. etc. etc.
The list can go on and on. Thankfully there are so many ways in which we can help ourselves to be happy and healthy. YOU are the only one who can give yourself the gift of health and happiness. No one else can do that for you. This is the way and NOW is the time. Give yourself the gift of longevity and love yourself to LIFE!